31 October 2011

Guilty Pleasure: My So-Called Life


So can we talk about My So-Called Life? I love it. It is exaggerated, ridiculous, and has hilariously characteristic 90's high school banter - sprinkled with plenty of "umm... you know"s, pregnant pauses, and "like"s.

Here are my Top 10 Favorite Things about My So-Called Life {sad that it only had one 19-episode season}.

10. The awkwardness is palpable and the tension in some strained relationships on the show is painful {in a good way}.

9. 1994 was the year of combat boots, over-sized plaid shirts, and grunge bands.

8. The issues of identity and searching for self are legit.

7. It's set in Pittsburgh.

6. The parents' relationship is embarrassingly real.

5. The hair.

4. The clothes.

3. The frienemies that the girls morph into - catty one minute, bffs the next.

2. The melodramatic nature of unchecked high school emotions.

1. How the show miraculously portrays a youthful Jared Leto (whose character, Jordan, is on the verge of dropping out, is habitually indifferent and makes little/ no effort with Angela {Claire Danes}, and who can barely read) as irresistible boyfriend material in true high school form.

I wasn't exactly allowed to watch it {at the time, I was in 4th grade} but as I caught up on the reruns in high school, my Dad thought the name "My So-Called Life" was fetching for a maladjust teenage show.

1 comment:

Grant said...

oh my goodness.. that's all i have to say.