29 January 2011

Go Ask Alice

Go Ask Alice is a new book I simply cannot put down. It is published anonymously and the note from the editors tucked just behind the title page is what initially caught my eye. It reads:

Go Ask Alice is based on the actual diary of a fifteen-year-old drug user.

It is not a definitive statement on the middle-class, teenage drug world. It does not offer any solutions.

It is, however, a highly personal and specific chronicle. As such, we hope it will provide insights into the increasingly complicated world in which we live.

Names, dates, places and certain events have been changed in accordance with the wishes of those concerned.


I'm hooked. I have been for 100 pages and will probably finish it tonight.

I think it should be required reading for high schoolers. It's that good... and that bad... and totally true.

2 comments:

stephanie said...

that's been on my "to read" list for ages. sadly (or fortunately?) it isn't a real diary; that was just a gimmick. the author came out a few years later and lots of people were pissed about it. i don't think it really takes anything away from the story, though. a good book is a good book :)

AnnieBlogs said...

Sending this as a rec to my book club. Sounds awesome. :) I'm reading Mennonite in a Little Black Dress. It's fabulous. Have you read it?